Whitney Cerak

We, the Cerak family, are elated beyond description at Whitney’s return home. It is so much more than we ever imagined three months ago.We would like to restate our plans of not speaking to the media. There is still much on the road to Whitney’s full recovery. We want to thank the media for the respect they have shown of our privacy in this time. And ask that the same courtesy given us would be extended to our family and friends.

Monday, July 10, 2006

July 10, 2006 "Set your hearts on things above..."

“Set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.” Colossians 3:1-2 NIV

As we have been reading, God has brought to us some scriptures that are familiar which have reminded us about our place here on this earth. We are so thankful for being able to be with Whitney and yet when we thought she was in Heaven we were filled with such great comfort. As we continue to watch her progress we sometimes feel we have taken our eyes off the Heavenly realm. God has shown us of what we should be looking toward and it is not located on this earth. It is with Him in Heaven. So we want to set our minds on things above and be working to make that our daily thought and let that effect how we live our lives each day.

Saturday was a beautiful day! After her college habit of deep sleep till almost noon, we left for a lake. This time no boating but lying in the sun and sitting in the water. Whitney has not had the opportunity to enjoy the sun much so this was a great step forward for her. She really likes the color on her face. That night we went out for ice cream. We had a nice evening sitting, talking, and eating our treats. It is good to see Whitney enjoying more of the things that were once a part of her life.

Sunday we joined with other brothers and sisters in Christ, for church. It is so encouraging for us to sit together with fellow believers and praise and worship the maker of Heaven and earth. To observe Whit singing in her soft voice is definitely a blessing! We spent the afternoon eating at a great restaurant by the water. Whitney definitely likes steak! We were able to sit at outside tables…so steak and sun…what a great combination for Whitney.

Then a return to Hope where two of Whitney’s very good friends visited for the evening. Emily and Amy bring that smile to Whitney’s face. The events of the weekend are good therapy for Whitney, although it does tire her out. She increases in her strength and endurance each day but still has not fully recovered fully. This will take more time and rest.

Each day we thank God for the blessing of Whitney and her continued life here on earth. It reminds us each time we look at her to pray for the VanRyns. We pray for the Erbs, Smiths, Larsons and Felvers. We pray for their strength and for God to shore up their faith as He has done. We pray that the aches you feel are softened in the knowledge you have knowing where your loved ones are…they are not lost…you know where they are…they are with Christ. That is the destination for all who love God and are committed to Him. Praise God for the upcoming reunion!

We keep in our prayers and thoughts as well, Vicki, Connie and Michelle. We pray for your recovery, health and strength.

In Christ alone, Whitney’s dad

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Ceraks, I came upon this quote while i was looking up "hard work" and this made me think of all of you guys...
“God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”..

i hope you like it:) can't wait to see you all again, keep up the good work whit, i know you will!

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy for Whitney's progress! Thank you so much for keeping us, her "brothers and sisters in Christ" updated and for blessing us with your daily words of encouragement.

I was wondering... Is it possible to hear from Whitney? I would love to hear her thoughts on what has happened.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're an amazing man of God. Thank you!

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear "ALL"
WHAT A MIGHTY GOD WE SERVE!
I thought of this as I write to all of you this morning on the "new" blog page here.
At pryer meeting last night we had all of you in prayer alsong with the other families that are involved.
I hope that this finds you doing and feeling better every day.
I am also thankful that you are able to go out and enjoy the sun, sky, and all of the rest of God's handy work here on earth.
I pray that you have a great day.

Love the E-Freer

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow once again the Lord has blessed you with another fine weekend.

I continue to praise Him for all He does for your family as well as mine.

Know that your family is being lifted in prayer from this mt zion mom and also sending love to all of you.

It is awesome that you remember the other families from the accident- their heartache is so huge-their loss so strong. Yet, knowing their loved one is with the Lord is a termendous help. Thank you for sharing Whit with the world.

love from a mom in mt zion

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a lot of us following Whit's recovery are longing for the day when we can see a picture of her. I will continue to pray for her recovery and for the day when we can 'see' her.

As the world watches and waits for news of Whitney I see so many turning their lives over to the Lord. My heart feels Whit is involved in a huge renewing of faith in our country and perhaps world wide..that is the Lord at work.

Prayers, love, and good positive thoughts are coming from this grandma in Mt Zion

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking in as usual on Whitney's progress from Minnesota. Good news she is doing so much better! Enjoy the sun! We will still keep your family and Whitney in our prayers!

- The Artibees-
Jessica, Tammy, Lynn, & Clayton

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whit and family,
This is a beautiful day that the Lord had made and we all rejoice in what you are accomplishing for the kingdom of Christ. Everyone remember to hold your families and your loved ones close to heart. Do not let a day pass that you do not tell them you love them. Let us all take a lession and rejoice for those who have gone on, and remember those who remain. The Lord's message continues to reach and touch lives. God bless you. Waiting to hear the news when you are finally home in Gaylord.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Whitney that we all can't wait to see her back at TU! I'm sure she'll have one amazing homecoming! God bless you all. You are in my constant thoughts and prayers.

~a Taylor student '08

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep up the awesome work, Whit! i continue to pray for you and your family daily. you are an amazingly strong young woman. prayers and God bless.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Darcy Keith said...

Hi Cerak family!

Just checking in to see how you all are doing. :)

Please share with Whitney that she'll be back at full strength in due time. It seemed like it took forever for me to get back to the "normal routine", as I still had to take aftenoon naps when I was discharged from rehab. My body was still healing, though I wanted to go 50 miles per hour. This sounds like Whitney's character, from what you've written, too. Not only was I physically tired, but the healing of my brain also required rest at the appropriate time.

It's so easy to do just "one more thing", and then you're wiped out for a while. I still struggle with that. God gently reminds me of my physical and metal boundaries, with which Whitney may still be experimenting, but she will find them, too.

Whitney, we are praying for you daily!

Connected by the One,
Darcy Keith, www.DarcyKeith.com

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Students all across Purdue University campus are praying for you Miss Whitney! Ceraks, you are simply amazing. What an incredible family!

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Cerak Family,

I once again ran into the story of Whitney and Laura, I was inclined google Whitney's name and I found your site. I was so curious as to Whitney's progress, and I am delighted to know that she is recovering and has such a seemingly loving and beautiful family by her side. Just wanted you to know that someone in Oregon was sending out prayers for you

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cerak family, thank you sooo much for keeping God at the center of Whitney's recovery. I am currently in my 3rd year of graduate school and the days are often long. There are many bright spots that I look forward to in my day, one of which is reading Whitney's progress and the Scripture that God has placed on your heart. Thank you.

Matthew 6:33-34

'03 TU grad

8:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Ceraks! Don't know you personally but I've been keeping up on your blog for awhile. What a story! It is truly amazing how God works. So happy to see that Whitney is doing so well. I'm praying for you all!!

Jen Scott
Watervliet, MI

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cerak family,
I was so excited to hear that Whitney was alive and rejoiced for all of you! You have been in our thoughts and prayers. It so wonderful to hear that she has progressed so well. Praise God. Love from former Gaylordites living in Fort Wayne...
Tammy, Eric and Rachel Hardt

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As everyone else has told you, I too, am grateful for your daily scriptures and updates on Whitney. Your words of encouragement and hope have surely brought so many people who are grieving or hurting closer with God. It's also nice reading positive comments that others are willing to share. I especially enjoyed the quote left by anonymous at 8:41 am. Sometimes I need to be reminded that God is always with us, no matter what we are going through at the time.
This is my first time posting, and I just wanted to express my appreciation to you and all others who leave such touching comments. I'm so glad Whitney is doing so well, and I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers!

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, i just want to say i am so happy for you guys and i pray everynight for the cerak family. I miss you guys so much and really mean the world to me and will continiously keep praying. love u guys very much

Will Rudd and Tony kammeyer

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning Ceraks and God bless. You don't know me, but I'm one of the many people who was so moved at the time of the accident and have become riveted to the blogs ever since.

Your faith not only continues to amaze me, but also move me back in the direction that it had strayed from over the past several years.

This morning as I dressed for work I saw the lovely pictures of Whitney on the Today show. She truly is a beautiful person, both inside and out.

I will continue to pray for all involved in the accident and thank you so much for the time you're investing in keeping this blog for us.

A mom from Clare

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear whitney is doing well. Cant wait to hear the progress. Sending love.
LeeAnna

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading the daily entries, and just PRAISE GOD for how Whitney is doing! I have a connection to GR (Calvin College),and am encouraged with you, on Whitney's progress! Your faith is a testimony to ALL of us! Blessings! ~a fellow believer in Washington state

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home